Saturday 18 June 2011

Saru's Lentil Curry - with or without a pressure cooker

This morning I sent a message to the universe that I was looking for a cheap, second hand pressure cooker. Hey presto! First garage sale this morning Bill spotted one for $6.00. Now, there's no such thing as a completely free ride in the universe, so I've had to send to WA for a new seal ring, but I'm confident that for a total of $46, by next week I will have my own Namco Pressure Cooker that won't blow my face back (or to the side).

My Nepalese friend Saru and I cooked the following this morning in her pressure cooker:

1 potato, cut into cubes
1 onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 piece (about a tablespoon) of ginger, chopped finely
10 curry leaves (roughly crushed)

Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a medium pan on a medium/high heat. Add above ingredients and fry off. Add

1/4 teas tumeric
1/2 teas corriander powder
1/2 teas cumin powder
2 tomatoes roughly chopped
2 cups hot tap water
1/2 cup dry beans (we used Tyson Chick Peas) which Saru had soaked for around 4 hours in hot water and looked like around 2 cups softened. Saru says she sometimes just uses canned canneloni beans if she doesn't have much time.

We pressure cooked them for around 20 minutes, starting on a fairly high heat and then a low heat once the pressure built up. Those of you with pressure cookers please refer to your manuals.

Saru said they would probably need a couple of hours simmering in an ordinary pan but why not? If you used canned beans it shouldn't take much more than about 20 minutes.

At the end , we added a tablespoon of tomato paste and a teaspoon or two of Madras Curry Paste (which I think is the key flavour. Adding it at the end is very important too). We also added a can of canneloni beans and salt to taste (about a teaspoon).

We ate it with flat bread we also made which I'll post next.

No comments:

Post a Comment