Wednesday 24 August 2011

Pumpkin Vichyssoise

This is a simple recipe but I'll post it anyway because many of the pumpkin soup recipes I see are based only on pumpkin - which makes them a bit too pumpkiny for me. You can also roast the pumpkin first but I don't.

750g pumpkin
2 leeks or 2 large onions
250g potatoes
3 chicken stock cubes & 1 litre (4 cups hot water) of course you can go as gourmet as your conscience allows (I'm pretty sure they're making those tetra packs up with with stock cubes & water at the Continental factory) or spend the day rendering bones if you're very virtuous.
1 cup cream (I'm way too pure for this, I use evaporated milk, Trim milk, or just a little cream)
salt, pepper.

Peel pumpkin, cut into small pieces, put into large saucepan. Add sliced leeks or chopped onions and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 25 minutes or until the vegies are very soft. The recipe then suggests putting it through a fine sieve - but of course that would be rediculously labour intensive. Either whiz it in the blender or, being careful not to send the whole lot spurting everywhere, whiz it with a wand blender.

Add cream (simmer gently once you've added the cream otherwise you risk it separating. If this happens, whiz it again.) Season to taste This serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment